Here are some of the Pros and Cons that I found in some books and documentaries of the Martial Law era:
- Massive reduction of crimes because of military control and curfews.
- Establishment of many infrastructures for health, education, economics, culture and arts than all previous presidents combined.
- Foreign exchange rate was $1 = 2 Php.
- Technocrats were present in government
- Growth in Gross National Product
- Surplus of balance-of-payment due to unexpected increase in prices of export products specifically sugar and coconut
- Centralized graft and corruption
- No freedom of the press
- Military abuse of power (military murder was the apex of a pyramid of terror)
- No fair elections (marred by guns, goons and gold)
- Death penalty was legal
What’s your view regarding this matter? Did Marcos lose an opportunity of a lifetime as the greatest President of the 20th century? Did the Philippines lose its chance of being one of Asia’s Tigers like Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan? Did the Filipino people really accomplished something after People Power? Did the Philippines become better or worse after the long dominion of Ferdinand E. Marcos?
“We can become great if we think less of ourselves and more of others.”